1) Who are ya?
Darren Wiltshire, 30 years old, English but working in Munich, Germany.
2) Who do you support?
3) What was your first game?
I don’t know my first game unfortunately, probably Spurs v a mid-table team at White Hart Lane…. My greatest game was seeing Santos beat Corinthians, a Robinho masterclass!
4) What do you do for a job?
I work as a Senior football analyst for Opta in Munich….. I have just got back from a couple of years of coaching in Morocco and India.
5) Have you played/worked for any football clubs?
I worked as a youth coach for Barcelona setting up their academy and at their camps in India. Also worked for Arsenal Soccer Schools but as a Tottenham fan that is nothing to boast about.
6) How did you get into it?
The analysis – I stumbled into it after completing my a levels.
The coaching – I spent time working with street children in Peru, and realised it was better for them to play football than sniff glue, so I decided to coach them how to play football every day.
7) What do you get out of it?
From the analysis, I get to analyse football for a great company in Opta and a salary!
From the coaching, I get a soul, enjoyment, and the opportunity to inspire kids to be fit and healthy and enjoy playing the game.
8) What advice would you give someone wanting to follow in your stud marks/footsteps?
To get into football coaching, take your badges, it is surprising how far a little FA stamp can get if you are prepared to travel abroad.. If you have ambitions to coach in the UK, do not bother coaching abroad because it seems to count for nothing..
To get into analysis, watch as much football as you can at all levels.
9) If you could do it all again what would you change?
Bloody hell, what a question! (GM – sorry, but stand leading question for all interviewees)
- I would have signed for a semi pro club called Estudiantil, when I lived in Uruguay.
- I wouldn’t have left the job with Barcelona in India
I was living a dream learning from a top coach and man called Jordi Arasa. Sadly my stomach gave up on me!
10) Who’s your footballing hero?
I feel I need to mention a few! My Dad, Ginola, Hoddle and Maradona
Many thanks Darren. ¡Viva la Revolución!
- WHO ARE YA? Mark Godfrey, The Football Pink (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Joanna Fisher, Head of Operations at Bollo Football School of Excellence (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Simon McMenemy (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Lee Milligan (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Craig Armstrong (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Pete Stajic, FC Halifax Town (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Baljit Rihal (nostanding13.wordpress.com)
- Football dominates UK Twitter chat (bbc.co.uk)
- Two arrested over antisemitic tweets posted after Tottenham match – #WorldNews (execdaily.wordpress.com)
- WHO ARE YA? Steve Obertelli (nostanding13.wordpress.com)